DevOps approach is a very efficient way to organize software development processes, so a lot of companies want to provide it. DevOps services include a lot of opportunities for the company. In today’s article, we’ll talk about DevOps culture, practices and tools, and especially about AWS services.
How DevOps approach can benefit your business?
DevOps philosophy is based on a flexible approach to product development. It provides automated processes and strong collaboration between teams of IT Operations, QA engineers and Developers. When you want to implement DevOps services, you should hire a DevOps team. They will make an assessment of the current system, find bottlenecks and remove them. The legacy infrastructure can be redesigned if needed. The next step is cloud migration. All the DevOps tools use cloud services so before the automation you need to move to the cloud. After that DevOps team implement practices and tools.
Common DevOps practices
DevOps approach provides the following practices:
- Infrastructure as Code (IaC). DevOps engineers create customizable infrastructure with a special textual file called manifest. In this file developers and QA engineers can change settings and get a new environment for testing and deployment.
- Continuous Integration (CI). CI means developing code in small parts that can be easily configurated, modified, testing and deployed. Using CI you can quickly add a new part of code to the main branch and shorten time-to-market.
- Continuous Testing. New parts of code should be tested as fast as possible. DevOps automates testing and make further work with code easier.
- Continuous Deployment (CD). Approved code should be delivered to the end-users by deployment.
- Continuous Monitoring and Logging. For efficient work you should constantly monitor the system, find bottlenecks, remove them and improve processes.
AWS provides all these practices with different tools. For example, AWS CodeDeploy automates deployment, AWS CodePipeline creates the CI/CD principle, AWS CodeBuilding allows making automated builds, AWS CodeStar also takes part in building and deployment. All these instruments are used in the CI/CD, but AWS also has tools for IaC like AWS CloudFormation and AWS OpsWorks and many more. As you can see, there are a lot of ways to automate your software development with AWS.
How to start using AWS DevOps services?
There are three main ways to start using DevOps AWS:
- Independent way. This is the longest but the cheapest way. You can implement AWS services using FAQs and manuals. AWS has detailed instructions and technical support, forums and community. But you’ll spend a lot of time because you’ll need to process a lot of information.
- AWS engineers. This is a quick but expensive way. You can refer to AWS engineers and they will do all the work for you. But the main risk is a vendor lock-in to AWS services. So, if you want to migrate to another provider, it might be difficult.
- Managed Service Provider (MSP). This way has an average price and time of implementation. MSP company can provide you with a dedicated team that has wide experience in different areas. Such teams can easily use different tools and you wouldn’t be bounded to one provider but still could use AWS tools.
DevOps transformation with AWS: to be or not to be?
As you can see, DevOps transformation with AWS can be quite different. You can choose the most appropriate variant for you. We recommend referring to reliable MSP for the most efficient DevOps transformation. MSPs work with very different projects, so they know the best practices and turnkey solutions. As a result, reliable MSP can lead your company to efficient automation practically without downtimes and money losses.